Table of Contents
Everyone has a certain amount of melanin in their skin.
Some people with darker skin have more of it than a person with fair skin, though.
The amount of melanin in a person’s skin can increase depending on how much time that they spend outdoors or if they have any hormonal changes caused by pregnancy or menopause.
However, an increase in melanin doesn’t always lead to an overall darkening of the skin.
It often occurs in patches or spots on the face that are difficult to hide with make-up.
Because of this, many women turn to expensive cosmetic processes to remove them, but most of these are very expensive and dangerous.
Luckily, there are 11 different ways to fade them naturally that won’t cost you a fortune.
Lemon or Lime Juice
The juice from citrus fruits like lemons and limes is acidic, and it is also high in Vitamin C.
So when it is applied to black spots for about two weeks, it lightens them.
- Cut a lemon or lime in half, and squeeze the juice from it into a small dish.
- Dip a clean cotton ball in the juice.
- Carefully, apply the juice all over the black spots.
- Let the lemon or lime juice dry completely before you wash it off.
This remedy should only be used by those who don’t have any skin diseases or sores on their face because the juice from a lemon or lime might irritate them, so they won’t heal properly.
This remedy might not work for people who have very sensitive skin either.
This root vegetable is amazing for the skin because of all the starch and special enzymes that it contains.
It hydrates the skin, so it feels softer and noticeably smoother.
And since it bleaches so well, it can naturally lighten black spots.
- First, puree a raw potato. Make sure that you use an organic potato to avoid coating your skin with a chemical residue.
- Mix a tablespoon of honey with the potato puree.
- Next, use a spoon to smooth the mixture all over your skin.
- Leave the potato mask on for 30 minutes while you’re relaxing.
- Wash the potato puree off of your skin.
Some people also slice or shred raw potatoes, and put them directly on the black spots.
But this remedy works the best when it is mixed with honey because honey increases the moisture in the skin.
It also has healing properties.
It is said that the ancient Egyptian pharaoh Cleopatra bathed in milk and honey to maintain her flawless complexion.
Luckily, you don’t have to be an Egyptian to look as lovely as she did.
The trick is to use buttermilk on your face.
It comes as a ready-made concoction in the dairy aisle next to other types of milk.
It can also be found in a dry powder in the baking section, but the ready-made type is better because it has more active enzymes in it.
Some people make their own buttermilk by adding a spoonful of vinegar to a cup of milk.
- After it sits for a few minutes, it is ready to use.
- Dab a clean cotton ball into the buttermilk.
- Slather it all over the face. Be sure to pay extra attention to the black spots.
- Let the milk completely dry on the skin. This could take at least an hour.
- Rinse the buttermilk off with water.
If you have any black spots on areas of your body besides your face, you can also add three cups of buttermilk and a cup of honey into your bath water.
Soak in the mixture for an hour before rinsing it off in the shower.
If this treatment is done regularly, the black spots will fade in about a month.
This remedy works the best for skin problems that are caused by aging.
It helps the skin regenerate new cells because of the high amounts of polysaccharides that it contains, so pimples, scars, and black spots disappear fast.
Be sure to only use fresh aloe for this remedy.
Store-bought aloe juice is often diluted with other ingredients, so it doesn’t work as well.
- Pick a fresh aloe leaf.
- Cut the aloe leaf down the center with a sharp knife.
- Scrape out the juicy flesh inside.
- Using your fingers, slather the aloe flesh directly on your face.
- Leave the aloe on for at least 30 minutes before washing it off.
This remedy should be done twice a day for it to be the most effective.
It can take up to four weeks to see the visible signs of lightened black spots.
Because of this, many people add in some castor oil to the aloe, since this oil decreases the time it takes for the treatment to work.
Sandalwood and Frankincense Oils
Most people think sandalwood and frankincense are only used in candles and incense, but their healing properties for the skin have been known for thousands of years.
In fact, they are even mentioned in the Bible.
They both come in a powdered form, but they are easier to use on the skin as essential oils.
- Combine three drops of sandalwood essential oil and three drops of frankincense essential oil with one teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Stir the mixture well.
- Apply the mixture to all the black spots at least once a day with a cotton swab.
This mixture hydrates and soothes the skin. It is also clear, so it doesn’t have to be removed.
In fact, it will work faster if it is left on throughout the day.
Since saffron is so expensive, many people substitute a spice called turmeric for it in their cooking.
It has a rich, smoky flavor and the same yellow color as saffron.
But it costs significantly less to buy.
This spice has gained popularity recently because of all of its health benefits to the skin and body.
It reduces dark spots and the signs of aging on the skin when it is applied topically, but it can also be sprinkled on top of food to heal a person from the inside out.
- Mix a small spoonful of powdered turmeric with a tablespoon of warm milk.
- Apply the mixture to the black spots.
- Leave the mixture in place for about ten minutes before washing it off.
For healthy skin all over the body, you can also add several spoonfuls of turmeric to your bath water.
Just be sure to pin up your hair as you soak, so the spice won’t discolor it.
Many vegans have known about the amazing properties of almonds for how to get rid of dark spots on face for years.
Almonds have more calcium than regular cow’s milk does, and they are loaded with protein and vitamins, especially Vitamin E.
They work best for lightening dark spots when they are made into a paste with honey because the honey helps hold the almond mixture onto the skin better.
- Soak a handful of almonds in a cup of water overnight.
- In the morning, strain off the water.
- Blend the softened nuts until they are a paste.
- Combine the almond paste with a spoonful of honey.
- Slather the mixture onto the black spots.
- Rinse the almond paste off after 30 minutes.
This mixture also works great when it is used as a scrub. It lifts away dead skin cells with ease.
If you find that almond paste is too messy, you can also apply almond oil to the black spots instead.
The next time that you have leftover oatmeal, don’t throw it away!
It makes a great mask for your skin to help lighten up black spots.
Steel-cut oatmeal is the best because it has more nutrition than powdered instant oatmeal that is loaded with sugar.
- First, add a quarter cup of plain steel-cut oatmeal to a half cup of cold milk.
- Stir the mixture well.
- Slather the oatmeal mixture all over the black spots.
- Rinse the oatmeal off after about 30 minutes.
Since this black spot remedy is messy, it is best to apply it while you soak in the bath.
Oatmeal is soothing to the skin, so you won’t have to worry if it falls into the bath water.
They both have bleaching properties, so some people also use them to whiten their teeth.
- Blend up three strawberries with a quarter cup of cubed papaya.
- Spread the mixture onto the spots.
- Leave the mixture on for 15 minutes before wiping it off with a soft cloth.
Garlic and Onion
No one likes the smell of garlic and onions, but you might want to give them a try if you want to know how to remove dark spots on face.
The juice of both of these common vegetables lightens dark patches of skin fast.
- Mince up one clove of garlic and one small scallion.
- Put the minced garlic and onion in a piece of cheesecloth.
- Squeeze the juice out of them, then throw the minced vegetables away.
- Dab the juice onto the black spots.
- Leave it in place for 10 minutes before washing it off.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar contains acetic acid, which sloughs away dead skin cells quickly.
Many people dab it on moles and freckles that they want to get rid of.
But it also clears up black spots.
For best results, use a piece of tape to hold a cotton ball dipped in apple cider vinegar onto each of the black spots.
Leave the cotton balls on overnight.
Repeat this process for at least four weeks.
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?